Here's an easy little tutorial for making a burlap pouch. My idea was to make a burlap clutch but because it ended up more square than rectangular, it is decidedly pouch-like. Great for a make-up bag or collecting other assorted randoms. I think this would make a nice gift for girlfriends around Christmas time, too. And if you made it larger it would rock the world as a laptop case.
Burlap coffee sack (ask your local coffee shop and they'll probably cough one up for free) or you can buy burlap at any fabric store
Zipper (mine was a 10")
Sewing machine, thread, scissors
1) Choose the shape of your pouch. I used a magazine and outlined it with a Sharpie. I traced two of these shapes right on top of the other and cut it out so I only had to use one piece of burlap for the purse.
2) Then cut out two pieces of pretty fabric to use as the lining for your pouch. You'll now have three pieces of fabric -- one burlap, two lining material -- all in the same size.
3) Put the three pieces together in this order and ...
4) ... pin.
5) Fold your pinned-together fabric in half and use a sewing machine to stitch up both sides of the pouch, leaving about an inch at the top so you can get the zipper situation settled in a minute.
6) Turn your pouch right side out and pin zipper to one side of the pouch.
7) Sew zipper on.
8) Twist the other side of the zipper and pin like this, then sew.
Add some rickrack to the zipper if you want, and you're done!